Content Management System
A Content Management System is useful for businesses that do not have a full-time in-house web development team as keeping a web site current could be very challenging. When information is not updated regularly it can cost a company in many ways. A Content Management System is a web application which enables users to quickly and efficiently build, deploy, and maintain content-rich web sites by streamlining the web publishing process. The right content management solution would depend on the degree and complexity of changes required by a company to keep their website up-to-date.
Some of the advantages of a Content Management System are
- Web template automation and customization.
- Each area of the site can be recreated and adjusted independent of the other areas. The content and design are independent of each other. So, changes to the content will not affect the design and changes to the design will not affect the content.
- Content can be easily edited using WYSIWUG (what you see is what you get) editors.
- Enhanced CMS by using plugin's and module integration.
- Document management and manipulation.
- Addition / updation / deletion of web pages with ease.
- Full control over the design and style part of the website.
- Decentralized maintenance As it uses a web browser, editing is possible from anywhere.
- Designed with non-technical content authors in mind where knowledge of HTML is not needed.
- Access restrictions User assigned roles and permissions that do not allow them to edit content which they are not authorized to edit.
- Uniformity of design is maintained as the content is stored separate from design.
- Content is stored in a central database.
- The content is dynamic and the typical module extensions are: forums, polls, shopping applications, searching, and news management etc.
The above mentioned advantages are just a few to name. A Content Management System also provides many additional features, such as automatic development of meta data, Versioning, controlling, link management, security features, and much more.